With cuts in marketing budgets, publishers now largely reserve book deals for authors with strong platforms. But what is an author platform? Your author platform consists of many things. It’s your web presence (website, blog, and social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Redroom, Goodreads, etc), your public speaking engagements and events, your teaching credentials, any stories and articles that have been published and won awards, your media contacts – anything that’s related to your built-in readership or fan base.
Julia Drake Public Relations offer an exclusive Author Platform Package to help aspiring authors to build an author platform around their book in order to attract interest from agents and publishers. We also assist first-time and established authors in finding new ways of strengthening and expanding their existing author platforms. Services include:
- Identifying the themes and topics of your book or body of work to create a brand to build your platform around. Your brand encompasses your expertise, the themes of your book, and your unique voice.
- Developing the platform beginning with your most important promotional tool: your blog or website. If you already own a website or blog we can work with you to revise it to reflect your brand – if needed.
- Brainstorming and creating engaging content for your website and blog to attract readers or build on your existing readership.
- Setting up and managing author pages on Facebook, Redroom, and Goodreads to build and expand readership.
- Setting up, managing and building your mailing list through Constant Contact or another email marketing provider of your choice.
- Creating customized newsletters and invites.
- Hosting online promotional giveaways, author chats, and blog tours.
- Designing promotional materials including flyers, brochures, bookmarks and posters.
- Securing speaking engagements and author events.
- Pitching essays and articles to a selected media to promote your writing expertise and credibility as an author.